TRAINING TIPS FOR FIRST TIME MARATHONERS:
1. Access current exercise and fitness level.
2. Begin with 30 minutes 3 x per week.
3. Keep track of exercise time vs. miles.
4. Begin with walk; then switch to run walk routine; increase run time and decrease walk time as you become more fit.
5. Increase total exercise time by 10% per week with period build-up method: Week 1 base week in total time; week 2 + 10%; week 3 + 20%; week 4 + 30%; week 5 same as week 2; week 6 same as week 3. This gives your body a chance to build up then recover.
6. Increase exercise time until maximum desired training time is achieved. 1 hour per day with 1 longer day on weekend is good for most people.
7. Increase intensity overall, alternating hard one day, easy the next.
8. Do one long run/walk per week. This should be done on grass or trails because it is easier on the legs. Steady hiking is good for the long day. Begin with 1 hour then progress to 5 plus hours.
9. Practice eating techniques during the long day.
10. Use the above method as a guideline only. Listen to your body and if injury or pain persists then alter plan according.
FOOD FOR COMPETITION:
• Eat 300-400 calories per hour
• Consume small quantities frequently
• Find a fuel that works for you
• Drink 6-8 ounces of fluid after each 100 calorie
• Eat 1 packet of carbo-gel 30 minutes before race and one more 5 minutes before start.
• Eat 100 calories every 15-20 minutes. Set your timer to remind you.
• Drink 6-10 ounces of fluid every 10-20 minutes. Water is usually best.
• Avoid energy bars with too much fiber. They can be hard to digest during a workout.
• For long events, chew an antacid every 3 hours to help reduce stomach acid.
• For all-day events, consume salt or salty foods (like cashews) to avoid a “sweet stomach”.